Sunday, July 16, 2006

Getting a colony started

ogame-colony-select.gifI'm not sure if a colony should specialize in producing a particular resource, or whether it should be a general purpose planet like my homeworld. Anyway, my new colony has 152 fields, which is not as big as I had hoped, but it will do. I read that advanced players don't accept a new colony that has less than 200 fields. They just destroy it and try again. (the number of fields is determined randomly with each attempt) But I am newbie and don't want to waste a Colony Ship like that. So this is my new home away from homeworld.

The new colony world shows up on the Overview screen. Very Pretty. BTW, here's an attaboy to the OGame designers and the graphics they have created for things like new planets. Nice work guys and gals. :-)

You can select your new colony from the overview screen or from the drop down menu at the top of every screen.
ogame-colony-select.gif

Starting over with a new colony brings to mind how far I've come since beginning the game. Not understanding the Energy numbers, hehe, I can laugh about it now.

So, on this new planet I start from the beginning, build a Solar Plant, then a Metal Mine, then another level to the Metal Mine, then another level to the Solar Plant, then a Crystal mine, and I am done until the mines produce more resources to continue building.

All of my research from the homeworld doesn't apply here. But there is a thing called the Intergallactic Research Network (IRN) that lets you share research amongst your colonies, but you have to build the Research Lab on each colony up to level 10 before you can create an IRN. *That* will be a while.

I pretty much need to build a shipyard too in order to build defenses on this planet. But for now, I will focus on producing resources and perhaps sending a little something back home each month.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look there is something you messed up there, its right that one should build the solar and metal and then another metal and so on until you got about 7 and 5 crystal, then throw in 3 Deuterium synth.

But you´r research do apply on each new colony you make, but in order to bring down research time in half like a Nanite Factory, brings down building time.. and yes for it to work both planets need lvl 10 reserch lab, and a IRN.

About finding a new good planet:

Ive spend quite some time at thes matter, before I fully understood that the slots 4,5 and 6 are good for 200+ planets..BUT However, there is one of the 3 slots whos chances for a MAX planet (324 slots atm.) is much larger than any other in the solarsystem, and thats slot nr. 6(!) Exactly how many times better change you got I cant say, wish I could, but its really alot better chance.. So wanna be big? get slots nr. 6.. If its not a big planet, delete it, wait 24 to 48 hours and when Destroyed Planet txt. is gone resent a colo ship to that lovely slot 6.. MORE 326 FTW!